Development Management and Policy Program
Admission & Tuition
Admission to the M.A. in Development Management and Policy (DEVM) is rigorous and competitive. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences has minimum admissions criteria including a 3.0 GPA from undergraduate degrees and a scores of at least 80 on the ITOEFL English language test. Please note that applicants who did not attend a U.S. undergraduate institution may need a notarized translation of the transcript and may be required to show an original diploma to a Georgetown University officer to verify conferral of the previous degree. All applicants must submit the following to be considered for the program:
- A completed Graduate School on-line application available at: http://grad.georgetown.edu/admissions/
- An evaluation of the applicant's academic record--including original, official transcripts mailed directly from the undergraduate institution, stating explicitly that the degree has been conferred.
- Two letters of recommendation
- GRE scores for students who are native speakers of English and/or have graduated from a U.S. institution of higher education; TOEFL or IELTS results for non-native speakers of English--official scores must be sent directly to the Graduate School from the testing organization.
- Statement of Purpose
- A professional resume
- Academic Writing Sample (approximately 15 pages--to determine whether the applicant has the strong writing and analytic skills necessary to successfully pursue rigorous training in policy analysis at the graduate level)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Spanish (non-native speakers are required to submit either a writing sample (10 pages or less) in Spanish or a letter from a Spanish professor certifying their level and proficiency in Spanish).
Spring 2013 term admission: November 1, 2012 (priority)
Summer and Fall 2013 term admission: January 15, 2013 (priority)
Summer 2013 term admission: April 1, 2013 (final)
Fall 2013 term admission: June 1, 2013 (final)
English Language Proficiency
All applicants who are not native English speakers are required to demonstrate a level of proficiency in the English language sufficient to meet the admission requirement of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Proficiency can be demonstrated by the receipt of a bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or from a university in another country where English is the primary language of instruction.
Either the TOEFL or IELTS ( International English Language Testing System, www.ielts.org) may be submitted. A minimum score of 80 is required for the ITOEFL and 7.0 for the IELTS. This requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. Please note that your application cannot be processed unless an original copy from the testing service of your test score is forwarded to the Graduate School at Georgetown.
Admission to the Ph.D. in Government Program
After completion of the M.A. in Development Management and Policy, a student may apply for admission to Georgetown's doctoral program in the Department of Government. If admitted, the student may request that some courses taken under the M.A. program be applied toward the Ph.D. in Government. This request should be filed within the student's first year of enrollment.
The total tuition costs for the M.A. program is $19,000. Admitted students can apply for tuition waivers from UNSAM.
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Director on NSF Funding
- Pulitzer Prize Winner Speaks at Giles Seminar Talk
- Professor King on the Boston Bombings
- There are no upcoming events scheduled at this time.