Admissions deadline for the 2019-20 school year: January 15, 2019.

Applicants will be notified by March 15, 2019.

The M.A. in Conflict Resolution welcomes applications from a variety of academic backgrounds and experiences. 

Please contact us with any questions. For general Georgetown Graduate School of Arts and Sciences admissions information, please visit the G.S.A.S. Admissions Page.

The Conflict Resolution Program reviews applications for admission once a year for fall matriculation, and applications for Fall 2019 are due on January 15, 2019. To be fully considered for admission, applicants must complete the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences online application and submit the required documentation.

application requirements

- TOEFL or IELTS scores (required for international students who have not received a degree from an English speaking university)

- GRE scores

- Official Transcripts from every university attended

- Three (3) letters of recommendation

- Statement of purpose (approximately 500 words)

- Academic writing sample (10-20 pages)

- Resume/CV

-Online Application

- Application fee ($90)

Materials that must be submitted outside of the online application (such as transcripts or test scroes) are due no later than January 15th, 2019 at the following address:

            Georgetown University
            Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
            Graduate Admissions, Box 571004
            3520 Prospect Street NW
            Washington, DC 20057


Due to the competitive nature of the admissions process, the CR Program will not review incomplete applications. GRE scores are required for all applicants and  may not be substituted with any other standardized test scores. There is no minimum score requirement, nor does the program track an average score for admitted students.


Georgetown University charges tuition based upon the total number of credits a student takes in a given semester. A full breakdown of tuition and associated fees can be found here and here. When estimating your tuition costs, keep in mind that the average CR student takes 25.5 credits in the first year of study and 8.5 credits in the second year.


All applicants are eligible for scholarship consideration. The CR Program awards a small number of partial tuition scholarships to first year students.  Please note that scholarship availability may change from year to year, and funding is limited. 

Many CR students find external scholarship funding through their own research. The following resources have helped students secure funding:


All American citizens should complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Georgetown Supplemental Form for consideration for federal aid. All prospective students are encouraged to contact the Georgetown Office of Student Financial Services for more information about financial aid options.


Q: Will you waive the application or deposit fees? No, we do not waive these fees.

Q: What is the average GRE and GPA of your accepted students? We don't give out this information, we evaluate each student as a whole, not just GPA and GRE.

Q: Can I turn in my GRE scores after the deadline? No, all application materials are due January 15.

Q: I'm an international student, do I need to take the GRE? Yes, all applicants are required to take the GRE.

Q: How many students apply and are accepted into the program each year? We are a competitive program, our admissions statistics are not public and vary with each academic year.

Q: Do you provide scholarships? We provide a limited amount of funding to our top candidates. Anywhere from 3 - 9 credits of tuition coverage during the first academic year. All applicants are automatically considered for merit during the application period and second year scholarships are not offered.

Q: How can I become a Research Assistant (RA)? All incoming students can apply to become RAs when the postings are sent out in August. These are hourly positions. students may work 10 -15 hours per week and can $14 per hour. The RA positions do not provide tuition forgiveness or stipends.

Q: How can I fund my education? Most students fund their graduate degree with a combination of Financial Aid and private scholarships, we recommend the Peace and Collaborative Development Network (PCDN) as a resource. However, students may use language scholarships to cover cost of language courses at Georgetown in certain circumstances, and may apply for PDF funds to participate in conferences and travel for field internships.

Q: How can I find a job on campus? Please see the university HR website for full-time and part-time positions.

Q: Where do I send my official test scores and transcripts? They should be sent to: Georgetown University, Office of Graduate Admissions, Box 571004, 3520 Prospect St., NW, RM CB-207, Washington, DC 20057 - 1004

Q: How do I submit my official recommendations? When you apply via the Graduate School online application system, you will be guided through this process.

Q: What should I say in my Statement of Purpose? We are looking for applicants with a passion to study CR at Georgetown and what specifically about our program has inspired you to seek admission.

Q: Do you require an interview? No, this is not a requirement for admission to our program.

Q: Do I need work experience to apply to the CR program? No, prior work experience is not an admissions requirement.

Q: Does the academic writing sample need to be 10 - 20 pages in length? Yes, please submit one 10 -20 page paper that best demonstrates your academic writing ability.

Q: My transcript is in another language, what should I do? Please see Georgetown's Information for International Applicants for information regarding how to submit foreign transcripts.

Q: When will I be notified if I've been offered admission to the program? Applicants will be notified by March 15th.

Q: Is it possible to defer admission? Yes, if you are accepted, you can apply for deferral via the Deferral Form. You may defer for up to two academic years.

Q: I have additional questions about the applications process, where can I find answers? Please consult the Graduate School's FAQs page. 


Q: Can you offer financial assistance for my travel to Open House? No, we are not budgeted to cover your expenses.

Q: When is Orientation? Orientation for the 2018- 2019 academic year is August 27-28th. This is an all day event. A schedule will be sent out over the summer.

Q; When does the program start? The first day of classes is Wednesday, August 29, 2018.

Q: Where can I find an academic calendar? The Main Campus academic calendar can be found on Georgetown's University Registrar.

Q: When do I register for Fall 2018 classes? You will register in late June, you will be contacted with more information about the process well before then. The course catalog can be accessed on the University's website.

Q: Where can I find information about housing? Washington DC can be a challenging place to find suitable housing, so start your search early. Contact the Off-Campus Housing Office in the Office of Neighborhood Living via email at or visit their website. The Office of Neighborhood Living is very available to assist both graduate and undergraduate students.

Q: I didn't receive a merit scholarship for the upcoming academic year, can I still receive program funding? If I defer my acceptance, will I be reconsidered for the following year? No, we have already offered our budgeted aid for the academic year. Students are only eligible for aid during their first year in the program. If you defer you will be considered again along with the other applicants.

Q: What is the cost of a the Master of Arts Degree in Conflict Resolution? Georgetown University charges tuition based upon the total number of credits a student takes in a given semester. A full breakdown of tuition and associated fees can be found on the University's Office of Student Financial Services Cost of Attendance page under the "Arts and Sciences" tab. When estimating your tuition costs, keep in mind that the average CR student takes 22.5 credits in the first year of study and 17.5 credits in the second year.

Q: What are other options for funding my education? Many CR students find external scholarship funding through their own research. The following resources have helped students secure funding: Georgetown University Office of Fellowships, Awards and Resources

Q: I want to know more about what student life is like in the program, what resources do you have? All current students have access to the Conflict Resolution (CR) 101 Folder. It's a resource for all program documentation, please review the documents for a glimpse of what student life is like for our students. Prospective students or those who have not accepted the offer to attend the program do not have access to this resource. 

Q: I submitted my FAFSA, when will I be notified about my aid package? For Federal Financial Aid questions, you will need to consult with the Office of Financial Services.

Q: I see a financial hold on my account - who do I contact to clear the hold or discuss where the hold is coming from? For Financial Aid questions, contact the Office of Financial Services. All students are assigned a financial aid officer to help answer their financial aid questions.